420F2/420F2 IT Backhoe Loader
Experience the Backhoe Loader designed around customer feedback. The Cat 420F2 Backhoe Loader puts all the machine controls at the operator’s fingertips. Operate all auxiliary controls with thumb rollers. Move from job site to job site quickly and smoothly with the additional 6th gear on the autoshift transmission and optional lock-up torque converter.
- Net Power – SAE J1349
- Engine Model
- Cat® C4.4 ACERT™
- Gross Power – SAE J1995
- Gross Power – ISO 14396
- Rated Net Power @ 2,200 rpm – SAE J1349
- Rated Net Power @ 2,200 rpm – ISO 9249
- Rated Net Power @ 2,200 rpm – EEC 80/1269
- Net Peak Power @ 1,800 rpm – SAE J1349
- Net Peak Power @ 1,800 rpm – ISO 9249
- Net Peak Power @ 1,800 rpm – EEC 80/1269
- Net Torque Rise @ 1,400 rpm – SAE J1349
- Net Peak Torque @ 1,400 rpm
- Engine meets Tier 4 Final emission standards.
- Rated Net Power – SAE J1349
- Rated Net Power – ISO 9249
- Dig Depth – Standard
- Dig Depth – E-Stick Extended
- Operating Weight – Maximum
- Operating Weight – Minimum
- Operating Weight – Maximum (ROPS Capacity)
- Cab, ROPS/FOPS
- AutoShift Transmission
- Ride Control
- Air Conditioning
- Four Wheel Drive
- MP Bucket (1.0 m3/1.3 yd3) (no forks or teeth)
- Loader, IT with Quick Coupler
- Extendible Stick
- Counterweights (Option 1)
- Counterweights (Option 2)
- Counterweights (Option 3)
- Closed Center
- Pump Type
- Variable Flow, Axial Piston
- Pump Capacity @ 2,200 rpm
- System Pressure – Backhoe
- System Pressure – Loader
- Power Shuttle Transmission – Standard: Forward – 1st
- Power Shuttle Transmission – Standard: Forward – 2nd
- Power Shuttle Transmission – Standard: Forward – 3rd
- Power Shuttle Transmission – Standard: Forward – 4th
- Power Shuttle Transmission – Standard: Reverse – 1st
- Power Shuttle Transmission – Standard: Reverse – 2nd
- Power Shuttle Transmission – Standard: Reverse – 3rd
- Power Shuttle Transmission – Standard: Reverse – 4th
- AutoShift Transmission – Optional: Forward – 1st
- AutoShift Transmission – Optional: Forward – 2nd
- AutoShift Transmission – Optional: Forward – 3rd
- AutoShift Transmission – Optional: Forward – 4th
- AutoShift Transmission – Optional: Forward – 5th
- AutoShift Transmission – Optional: Forward – 6th
- AutoShift Transmission – Optional: Reverse – 1st
- AutoShift Transmission – Optional: Reverse – 2nd
- AutoShift Transmission – Optional: Reverse – 3rd
- AutoShift Transmission with Lock-Up Torque Converter – Optional: Forward – 1st
- AutoShift Transmission with Lock-Up Torque Converter – Optional: Forward – 2nd
- AutoShift Transmission with Lock-Up Torque Converter – Optional: Forward – 3rd
- AutoShift Transmission with Lock-Up Torque Converter – Optional: Forward – 4th
- AutoShift Transmission with Lock-Up Torque Converter – Optional: Forward – 5th
- AutoShift Transmission with Lock-Up Torque Converter – Optional: Forward – 5th LUC
- AutoShift Transmission with Lock-Up Torque Converter – Optional: Forward – 6th
- AutoShift Transmission with Lock-Up Torque Converter – Optional: Forward – 6th LUC
- AutoShift Transmission with Lock-Up Torque Converter – Optional: Reverse – 1st
- AutoShift Transmission with Lock-Up Torque Converter – Optional: Reverse – 2nd
- AutoShift Transmission with Lock-Up Torque Converter – Optional: Reverse – 3rd
- Front Axle, 2WD – Static
- Front Axle, 2WD – Dynamic
- Front Axle, 4WD – Static
- Front Axle, 4WD – Dynamic
- Rear Axle – Static
- Rear Axle – Dynamic
- Axle Oscillation
- 10 Degrees
Service Refill Capacities
- Cooling System with Air Conditioning
- Fuel Tank
- Diesel Exhaust Fluid*
- Engine Oil with Filter
- Transmission – Power Shuttle: 2WD
- Transmission – Power Shuttle: 4WD
- Transmission – AutoShift: 4WD
- Rear Axle
- Rear Axle – Planetaries
- Front Axle (4WD)
- Front Axle (4WD) – Planetaries
- Hydraulic System
- Hydraulic Tank
- * Must meet the requirements outlined in ISO 22241.
- Requires ultra-low sulfur fuel less than or equal to 15 ppm fuel sulfur.
- Front Wheel
- Power Steering
- Rod Diameter
- Axle Oscillation
- Turning Circle – 2WD/4WD (inner wheel not braked): Outside, Front Wheels
- Turning Circle – 2WD/4WD (inner wheel not braked): Outside, Widest Loading Bucket
- Choice 1
- Front: 11L-16 (12 ply) F-3/Rear: 19.5L-24 (12 ply) R4 ATU
- Choice 2
- Front: 12.5/80-18 (12 ply) 1-3/Rear: 19.5L-24 (12 ply) ATU
- Choice 3
- Front: 12.5/80-18 NHS (12 ply) 1-3/Rear: 21L-24 (16 ply) R4 ATU
- Choice 4
- Front: 340/80R 18/Rear: 19.5L-24 (12 ply) R4 ATU
- Choice 5
- Front: 340/80R 18/Rear: 500/70R 24 RT
- SAE J/ISO 3450; ISO 3450 1996
- Cab – ROPS
- SAE J1040 MAY94; ISO 3741 1994
- Cab – FOPS
- SAE J/ISO 3449 APR98 LEVEL II and ISO 3449: 1992 LEVEL II
- Cab – Sound
- ANSI/SAE J1166 OCT98 is 79 dB(A)
- Exterior Sound
- SAE J188 JUN86 is 76 dB(A)
- Regeneration is passive and does not require any input from the operator or disrupt work.
- Three-ring pistons made of lightweight, silicon/aluminum alloy for strength and maximum thermal conductivity.
- Forged chrome/molybdenum-steel crankshaft with crankshaft with either induction hardened or nitrocarburized journals.
- Front and rear crankshaft oil seals are “lip” type Viton and PTFE designs featuring an integral dust lip.
- Heat resistant, silicone-chrome steel intake and STELLITE-faced exhaust valves provide long life.
- Cylinder block is high strength, cast iron alloy of deep skirt, monobloc design for increased strength and long life.
- Cylinder head is high strength, cast iron alloy construction with extra duty wall and deck thickness.
- Cylinder head’s intake and exhaust ports are precision cast to promote optimum gas flow.
- Direct injection fuel system provides accurate fuel delivery; remote mounted electric lift pump improves serviceability.
- Dry-type axial seal air cleaner with integral precleaner, automatic dust ejection system, and filter condition indicator.
- Direct electric, 12-volt starting and charging system with 880 CCA Group 31 maintenance free battery.
- Standard glow plug starting aid system for efficient cold weather starting.
- High contact ratio/gear train, peripheral fixed isolation top cover and open deck block design reduce bare engine noise.
- Higher low end torque for better engine/machine performance.
- Engine is equipped with electric fuel priming pump.
- Brakes meet the following standards: SAE J1473 and ISO 3450 requirements.
- Self-adjusting, completely enclosed and sealed.
- Foot operated brake pedals can be interlocked for roading.
- Parking/secondary brakes are independent of the service brake system.
- Parking brake is mechanically applied through an adjustable hand lever located on the right console.
A cab designed for maximum comfort and productivity.
The ergonomic, automotive style operator station helps you work comfortably and productively all day long. Choose the configuration that meets your needs – Canopy, Cab Deluxe or Cab Deluxe with Air Conditioning. Other features include:
- Adjustable air suspension seat
- Tilt and telescoping steering column
- Excellent visibility over hood and up to bucket dump
- Pantograph windshield wiper
- Large front windshield screen
- Large LCD gauge cluster screen
- Ample legroom
- Optional heated seat
- Differential lock button on loader lever
- Large opening windows
- Solid roof cab
- LED brake lights
- Heated seat (optional)
The optional Ride Control System smoothes the ride in all conditions, including load and carry, highway roading or simply moving around the job site. The result can be increased operator comfort, potentially reducing operator fatigue, and improved material retention.
The pattern selector switch, located in the cab, lets you change from an excavator to a backhoe control pattern simply by pressing a button. This lets you use the pattern you are most comfortable with so you can be more productive.
Premium Gauge Cluster
Bright and large LCD screen makes it easy to monitor machine operation and settings. LED indicator lights and audible alarms allow the machine to clearly communicate with the operator.
Safety Getting in and out of the Cab
New longer grab handles and ergonomic step placement makes it easy to maintain three points of contact when getting in and out of the cab.
Cat Backhoe Loader joysticks are economically designed to provide precise control with low effort. Loader control levers on both the Single Tilt and Integrated Toolcarrier models offer a thumb roller for any 3rd function auxiliary. The differential lock control is newly located on the loader control to bring controllability to the operator’s fingertips. New on the IT model is the forward, neutral, reverse control switch.
Always built for performance, power and efficiency.
The Cat C4.4 ACERT engine operates quietly while delivering performance and durability. The engine meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final emission standards. Engine features includes:
- Selective catalytic reduction
- Diesel oxidation catalyst
- Diesel exhaust fluid with system purge
- Limited operator interaction
The standard power shuttle transmission provides four speeds forward and reverse. Hydraulically shifted clutches allow on-the-go direction and travel speed shifts. The optional auto-shift transmission matches gear with grade and load conditions. Now with six forward and reverse speeds, the machine can reach top speeds smoothly and quickly.
- The new optional lock-up torque converter, offered on the autoshift transmission, improves fuel efficiency up to 20% over the standard six gear autoshift. The lock-up torque converter also improves roading for long distances and with uphill climbs.
- Hydraulic proportional control valves deliver smooth speed and directional shifts.
- Four Wheel Drive option improves mobility and loader performance in poor underfoot conditions and can be activated on-the-go.
- Maximum roading speed of 40 km/h (25 mph) improves travel time between job sites.
Brake Mode Selector
Brake mode selector switch has three positions: two wheel drive, two wheel drive with all wheel braking and four wheel drive. Two wheel drive with all wheel braking provides better tire life while roading and engages the front axle when brakes are applied for improved braking performance. Brake mode selector is included in the 4WD package.
Matching system power to job site demands.
Load Sensing Hydraulics
Closed center hydraulic system matches pressure and flow to application demand. Whether you’re in full trenching mode or digging around delicate services, you remain in control. In applications such as production trenching where speed is important, the system will provide the flow needed to get the job done quickly and efficiently. The load sensing hydraulic system provides:
- Better fuel efficiency
- Electronically controlled
- Quieter operation
- Reduced component wear
- Cooler hydraulic temperatures
- Full forces at any engine speed
Flow Sharing Valves
Specifically tuned hydraulic valves allows for the multifunction of hydraulic components, without machine manipulation. Hydraulic fluid is shared between implements so that operation isn’t interrupted.
Combination two way and one way flow hydraulic lines add versatility to the machine. By simply changing the lever position, the machine can efficiently run either style hydro mechanical tool.
Cat Backhoe Loaders are able to reduce engine speed to 1,900 rpm while maintaining superior hydraulic power and performance.
Superior digging forces.
The excavator-style boom is built for optimum performance and durability. The curved design provides added clearance when digging over obstacles or loading trucks. The narrow boom enhances the viewing area to the bucket and the trench throughout the operating range. More robust swing casting and double clevis design improves durability and reliability.
Serrated edges on the stick provide improved material clamping for clearing and demolition applications. The optional extendible stick (E-stick) increases reach and dig depth by approximately 1.2 m (4 ft).
Programmable Auxiliary Flow Control
- Three auxiliary settings for two auxiliary functions
- Accessed through the gauge cluster, operators can match the hydraulic flow of the machine to a work tool attachment
Thumb mounting provisions are standard on every Cat Backhoe Loader for added machine versatility. Cat hydraulic thumbs are available for even greater versatility. Mechanical thumbs are also available through your Cat dealer.
Powerful front loader.
Front loader arms deliver more reach, dump height and breakout. Choose the loader linkage that suits your application:
Powerful Single Tilt Loader Linkage
- Delivers strong lift and breakout forces for a solid performance in backfilling and truck loading applications with pin-on buckets.
- Optional third function hydraulics are now operated by an ergonomically designed thumb roller.
- The operator can now engage the differential lock with a press of a button on the loader lever for added machine control.
Integrated Toolcarrier (IT) loader linkage (optional) provides high breakout forces with parallel lift for efficient loading and material handling:
- The versatile integrated toolcarrier comes with a standard hydraulic quick coupler and can use a wide range of Cat Work Tools for a variety of applications.
- The single lever IT loader control provides fine modulation of hydraulic work tools. A thumb roller operates auxiliary hydraulic functions on work tools such as multi purpose buckets, brooms and other attachments.
- The IT loader lever provides additional machine control by offering the Forward, Neutral and Reverse control switch at the operator’s fingertips.
Do more jobs with one machine.
Backhoe Work Tools
Increase the versatility of your machine with the large selection of backhoe attachments:
- Buckets – Standard Duty, Heavy Duty, Heavy Duty Rock, Soil Excavation, Coral and Ditch Cleaning
- Cold Planers
- Thumbs (mechanical and hydraulic)
- Vibratory Plate Compactors
- Quick Couplers
Loader Work Tools
A wide range of loader attachments is available including:
- Buckets – General Purpose, Multi Purpose, Side Dump and Light Material
- Angle Blades
- Material Handling Arms
- Snow Plows
IT Loader Quick Coupler
The quick coupler allows fast and easy connection to work tools. Mechanical work tools can be changed in less than 30 seconds from the comfort of the operator station.
Backhoe Quick Coupler
Manual or hydraulic backhoe couplers make rear tool exchange quick and easy. New Cat dual lock coupler has a self-adjusting wedge design to ensure a tight fit. It also features a safety lock that automatically engages.
Easy maintenance helps keep your machine working.
Minimize Your Downtime
Convenient service features make maintenance easy, reducing your downtime:
- Hinged cooling pack provides easy access
- Tilt up hood provides easy, convenient access to all engine check points
- Engine side panels remove easily without the use of tools
- Cat Product Link™ system (optional) provides remote reporting of machine location and operating system parameters
Unmatched support makes the difference.
Renowned Dealer Support
From helping you choose the right machine to knowledgeable ongoing support, Cat dealers provide the best in sales and service.
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts
- Best-in-class parts availability
- Operator training to help boost your profits
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts
- Adjustable auxiliary controls, backhoe loader
- Air cleaner
- Alarm, back-up
- Alternator, 150 amp
- Audible system fault alarm
- Automatic Engine Speed Control (AESC)
- Battery, maintenance-free, 880 CCA
- Battery disconnect switch
- Battery remote jumpstart
- Boom transport lock
- Brace, lift cylinder
- Brake, secondary parking
- Brakes, hydraulically boosted, oil disc, dual pedals, interlocking
- Bucket level indicator
- Canopy, ROPS/FOPS
- Cat cushion swing system
- Coat restraint
- Coolant/antifreeze, extended life
- Counterweight, bumper
- Dome light (cab only)
- Diagnostic port for engine, machine and gauge cluster Electronic Control Modules
- Differential lock, loader joystick
- Engine, Cat C4.4 ACERT (Direct Injection Turbocharged), meets Tier 4 Final emission standards, selective catalyst reduction, diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC)
- Engine enclosure, sound suppression removal panels
- Face seals, O-ring
- Fan, suction and guard
- Fast reversing shuttle, all gears
- Fenders, rear
- Filters, spin-on: fuel, engine oil, transmission oil, water separator
- Filters, bowl and cartridge: hydraulic fluid
- Flashing hazards/signal lights
- Floor mat
- Fuel tank, fully enclosed
- Fully hinged front grill for cooling package cleaning access
- Gauge cluster: coolant temperature, fuel level, torque converter temperature, DEF level
- Ground level fuel fill and DEF fill
- High ambient cooling package
- Hood lock, inside cab
- Hydraulic hose, XT™
- Hydraulic oil cooler
- Hydraulic oil level sight gauge
- Hydraulic valve, hydrostatic steering
- Hydraulic valves, loader 2 function
- Hydraulic valves, backhoe 5 function
- Hydraulics, load sensing with variable displacement piston pump
- Indicator lights: Eco mode active, water in fuel, remote dial throttle active, engine warning, warning lamp, emissions module malfunction, AESC active, low battery/charging system warning, high hydraulic oil temperature; LCD warnings: engine oil pressure, machine locked (if equipped), service due, air filter blocked, high coolant temperature, auto idle shutdown, high torque converter temperature, hydraulic filter bypass
- Instrument panel lights
- Joystick controls: pilot operated, excavator-style with pattern changer
- Key start/stop system
- LCD screen: engine speed, hour meter, gear/direction, battery voltage, hydraulic oil temperature, torque converter temperature, coolant temperature, trip totals (fuel and hours), lifetime totals (fuel and hours), operator settings (units, brightness, programmable hoe auxiliary flow), service mode diagnostics, oil life reset, DPF force regeneration, maintenance intervals, ECM/system info
- Lights, working (4 front, 4 rear)
- Loader, self-leveling, return-to-dig and transmission disconnect switch
- Loader, single tilt
- Mirror, rearview
- One-touch low idle
- Open circuit breather
- Pattern changer, in cab
- Power receptacle, 12 volt, 2 internal, 1 external
- Power steering, hydrostatic
- Radio ready cab
- Seat belt, retractable, 51 mm (2 in)
- Socket, two roof
- Stabilizer shoes, street
- Steering knob
- Seat, air suspension, fabric or vinyl cover, with armrest
- Starting system, glow plugs
- Steering, hydrostatic
- Storage compartment, lockable
- Storage tray
- Stop and tail lights
- Swing transport lock
- Tilt steering wheel
- Toolbox, external, lockable
- Torque converter
- Throttle, hand and foot, electronic
- Transmission, four speed, syncromesh
- Transmission neutralizer switch
- Transport tie-downs
- Two Wheel Drive
- Vandalism locks, four
- Warning horn, electric
- Battery, additional, 880 CCA
- Cab, deluxe
- Cold weather fuel (–30° C/–22° F)
- Cold weather package, including additional battery, engine block heater, radiator antifreeze, cold weather fuel (–30° C/–22° F) and mounting for an ether bottle
- Counterweights, 115 kg (255 lb), 240 kg (530 lb) or 460 kg (1,015 lb)
- Fenders, front with integral steps
- Four Wheel Drive
- Guard, boom protection plate
- Guard, stabilizer, rock
- Hydraulic valves, loader (3rd valve for GP, MP or Quick Coupler)
- Hydraulic valves, backhoe 6 function
- Hydraulic lines, combined function auxiliary
- Loader, IT with Quick Coupler and pilot loader control
- Product Link, satellite, PL631E
- Product Link, cellular, PL641I
- Quick Coupler, hydraulic, dual lock
- Quick Coupler, manual, dual lock
- Quick Coupler, pin lock
- Radio and CD player
- Radio and CD player, Bluetooth
- Ride Control
- Rotating beacon, magnetic mount
- Seat belt, 75 mm (3 in)
- Seat, heated
- Security system keypad
- Stabilizer pads, reversible
- Stick, extendible
- Storage box
- Transmission, AutoShift
- Transmission, AutoShift with lock-up torque converter
- Vandalism protection, gauge cover
- Work Tool Attachments such as buckets, forks, material handling arms, augers, hammers, brooms, cold planers and vibratory plate compactors. See your Cat dealer for more information.